2 Chron Survey Part VI Never Too Young or Old for Doing What's Right
"...But on this one will I look: on him who is humble and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at My Word." - Isaiah 66:2b
I. It's Never too Late to Repent
Stop doing something else, Expect, Expend energy and effort, Keep at it until you get it
33:2 Manasseh (12) did evil...3...built again the high places which Hezekiah his father had broken down...6 caused his children to pass through the fire...observed times...enchantments...witchcraft...medium...wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger...9 made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to err, and to do worse than the heathen, whom the LORD had destroyed before the children of Israel. 10 And the LORD spoke to Manasseh...would not hearken. 11 LORD brought...Assyria...bound him with fetters, and carried him to Babylon 12 in affliction, he sought the LORD his God, and humbled himself greatly before God 13 prayed...heard his supplication, and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD he is God. 14 built a wall...15 took away the foreign gods...16...repaired the altar of the LORD, and sacrificed...commanded Judah to serve the LORD God of Israel.
II. Usually Children will Exceed your Wickedness but not your Righteousness
22 Amon did evil...as Manasseh his father: sacrificed images which Manasseh his father had made, and served them; 23 humbled not himself before the LORD, as Manasseh his father had but Amon trespassed more and more.
III. Clear the Way for God to Bless by Starting with What You Know is Right
34:2 Josiah (8) did right in the sight of the LORD, walked in the ways of David his father...3...yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: 12 year he purged...the high places...idols...5 And he burnt the bones of the priests upon their altars, 1Ki 13:1...Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense. 2...O altar, altar, thus saith the LORD; Behold, a child shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.
IV. Tremble at the Word with a Tender and Humble Heart
34:8 18th year...repair the house of the LORD 14 brought out the money...Hilkiah the priest found the book of the law of the LORD by Moses. 19 when the king heard the words of the law, he tore his clothes...21 Go, enquire of the LORD for me, and for them that are left...for great is the wrath of the LORD that is poured out upon us, because our fathers have not kept the word of the LORD, to do after all that is written in this book. 25 Because they have forsaken me...my wrath shall be poured out upon this place, and shall not be quenched...27 Because your heart was tender...humble thyself before me, and did tear your clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard you also 28...you shalt be gathered to thy grave in peace
V. Covenant to Walk: with the Lord, with Others, with a Whole Heart (then enjoy the benefits)
34:30 And the king...read in their hearing all the words of the book of the covenant that was found in the house of the LORD 31...made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments, and his testimonies, and his statutes, with all his heart, and with all his soul, and to obey the words of the covenant written in this book.
35:1. Moreover Josiah kept a passover...according to the word of the LORD by the hand of Moses. 7 gave...all for the passover offerings, for all that were present: 33,000 of the king's substance. 8 And his princes gave willingly to the people, to the priests...
VI. Your Areas of Great Strength Can Become Areas of Great Weakness
20. After all this, when Josiah had prepared the temple, Necho king of Egypt came up to fight against Carchemish by Euphrates: and Josiah went out against him. 21 But he sent ambassadors to him, saying, What have I to do with you, thou king of Judah? I come not against you this day, but against the house with which I have war: for God commanded me to make haste: forbear you from meddling with God, who is with me, that he may not destroy you. 22 Nevertheless Josiah would not turn his face from him, but disguised himself, that he might fight with him, and hearkened not to the words of Necho from the mouth of God, and came to fight in the valley of Megiddo...24...brought him to Jerusalem, and he died, and was buried in [one of] the sepulchres of his fathers. And all Judah and Jerusalem mourned for Josiah. 25 And Jeremiah lamented for Josiah 26 Now the rest of the acts of Josiah, and his goodness, according to the law of the LORD 27 And his deeds, first and last...
Daily Dependence; Understand Sanctification/Service; Messenger Shooter; Belittle God (no fear)
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. What attributes/characteristics of God cause Him to allow us to start over with a clean slate in any circumstances?
2. What does someone look like who trembles at the Word of God? What are some benefits of being wobbly-kneed at the Word?
3. How does accountability help our whole-heartedness? Why are we tempted to be half or faint hearted?
4. What strategies are in place to ensure that you and your children finish well? Why will your children buy into your values?
5. Do you know what the potential downsides are of your strengths? How can you protect yourself or minimize your liabilities?
6. Do we or should we expect perfection from ourselves? From others?