Without Knowing Truth, We Can (and Probably Will) Make Big Mistakes.
John 18:37 Pilate therefore said to Him, "Are You a king then?" Jesus answered, "You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." 38 Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?" Luke 21:8 ” Take heed that you not be deceived.”
Learning Truth Through Science (process of discovery): Reality and Reason
The steps of the scientific process are:
- Observation of facts (reality)
- Define theories that could explain the facts (reason)
- Make predictions for certain experiments based on the theory
- Conduct the experiments
- Verify, reject or adapt the theory
Scientific process has four fundamental assumptions:
- A true, physical universe exists.
- Randomness may exist in the universe, but it is primarily an orderly system.
- Principles of this orderly system can be discovered, particularly through scientific research.
- Knowledge of the universe is always incomplete. New knowledge can, and should, alter current ideas and theories. Therefore, all knowledge and theories are tentative.
Learning Truth Through the Bible: Revelation
Reasons to believe that the bible is the actual word of God:
- Historically reliable, internally consistent while written by over 40 authors, from various backgrounds, over 1500 years of time.
- All-time best-seller, translated in 850+ languages. More researched than any other book and never proven to be wrong.
- Only book that has fulfilled prophesies (time and place of Jesus birth, manner and circumstances of his death, exile, 1948)
- The resurrection. Eye-witness accounts. Changes in the disciples/apostles: all martyred. Jesus claims: Liar, Lunatic or Lord.
- The transformation in people when they start to read and apply Gods Word.
The Three Most Important Truths
- Past: John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- Present: John 17:17 "Sanctify them by Your truth.. John 16:13 "… the Spirit of truth…will guide you into all truth;
- Future: Revelation 22:12 " I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
Satan tries hard to deceive us about these truths. 2 Timothy 2:24-26 "… they may know the truth, …and escape the snare of the devil"
Biblical Principles About Truth
- God’s word is the manual for life. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
- Inductive bible study is a must. 2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent … rightly dividing the word of truth. Example. Romans 2:6 God, who "will render to each one according to his deeds" 7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self–seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness––indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;
- Knowing the truth without acting upon it is useless. James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 2:17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
- With truth comes responsibility. Luke 12:47 "And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 "But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more."
- People do not want to hear the truth but that does not negate our responsibility. 2 Timothy 4:1 "I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables."
Ezekiel 33:7 "So you, son of man: I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore you shall hear a word from My mouth and warn them for Me. 8 "When I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked man, you shall surely die!’ and you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. 9 "Nevertheless if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul."
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
- How can you best learn the truth from the Bible? Is it useful to read commentaries?
- What are some truths that we Christians tend to know about, but don’t act upon? Why?
- Is it more difficult to learn the truth of scripture or to apply (live) it?
- How has inductive Bible study helped you to learn and live the truth?
- How can you learn the truth about things that are not mentioned in the Bible? Is the Internet a good source for truth? Hollywood? Facebook? Oprah? YouTube?
- Can you explain in three minutes to an unbeliever why you believe that the bible is Gods word?
- What can you do this week to share the three most important truths with others?