The Art Of Application
Download MS Word File
Js 1:14 (doubt...) Each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire is embraqced, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren...21 Therefore lay aside all defilement and overflow of ill-will/evil, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
1. Observation (what do I see?)? Interpretation (what does it mean?)? Application (how does it work?)
2. What does this passage teach me about God and Man, and the rlshp between the two (end of each DTB post and TOYL Affirmations)
3. God (what He's like-attributes, what He's promised, what I can expect of Him, what He expects of me, motivations He uses)?
4. Man/Myself (my nature, identity, worth, purpose, destiny, ambition, natural inclinations, what I should/shouldn't think, value, feel, do/behavior, temptations to avoid, sins/behavior to confess, examples to follow, promises to believe; work, leisure, money/stewardship, time, faithfulness)
5. God: The One and Only Creator of the world and me has communicated Truth vital to my temporal and eternal well being.
Jn 5:22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son 24 he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 29 those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
6. Ourselves: 2Cor 5:10 Therefore we make it our aim/ambition, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 17 if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
7. Others: 1Cor 1:10 10 I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord JC, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
8. World, the Flesh, and the Devil: Js 4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.