Institute in Basic Life Principles Follow-Up
Download MS Word File
Heb 12:15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled
I. Truth is found at the Convergence of Revelation/Reason/Reality (context & consistency)
II. Three Root Problems
Js 4:6…"God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble." 7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
A. Bitterness and Rebellion open the door to demonic influence
1Sam 15:22..Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."Develop a spirit of Gratitude1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
B. Temporal Values .. result in greed, anxiety, insecurity, etc.
Yield Rights and Expectations Ps 62:5 My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him
Lk 9:23 And he said to them all, If any will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
C. Moral Impurity.. results in guilt, anger, bondage, satanic strongholds
1. Confess the sin (bitterness, impurity, pride) "I deserve better than I receive" 1Jn 1.9 If we confess our sins…
III. The Root Cause of our Problems is the Violation of Seven Scriptural Principles:
1. Design Understanding the specific purposes for which God created each person, object, and relationship in my life and living in harmony with them. Thanking God for my design brings Self-Acceptance.
2. Authority Honoring the responsibilities of parents, church leaders, government, and other authorities and learning how God works through them to provide direction and protection. Honoring my authorities brings Inward Peace.
3. Responsibility Realizing I am accountable to God for every thought, word, action, and motive. Asking forgiveness of those I offend brings a Clear Conscience.
4. Suffering Allowing the hurts from offenders to reveal “blind spots” in my own life, and then seeing how I can benefit their lives. Fully forgiving offenders brings Genuine Joy.
5. Ownership Understanding that everything I have has been entrusted to me by God, and wisely using it for His purposes. Yielding my rights to God brings True Security.
6. Freedom Enjoying the desire and power to do what is right, rather than claiming the privilege to do what I want. Regaining ground surrendered to sin brings Moral Purity.
7. Success Discovering God’s purpose for my life by engrafting Scripture in my heart and mind, and using it to “think God’s thoughts” and make wise decisions. Meditating on Scripture brings Life Purpose.
Questions for Reflection/discussion/Response: