III. How do we defend ourselves against the Dark Arts?
A. Example of Jesus: respond with Truth
1Cor 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. 3Jn 11; Eph 5:1; Heb 6:12;
1. Jesus, fully submitted to the Father, resisted and rebuked/refuted the lies of Satan by exposing them via the Light of Scripture
Mt 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, `You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.'"
Flesh Mt 16:23…to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men
2. Constant Vigilance Lk 4:13 Now when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from Him until an opportune time.
3. NB “Rebuke” is not a magic charm word, (Stop the mouth through reproof [bring to light]) but a refutation of lies by Jesus’ power.
Zech 3:2 And the LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you!
Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil…said, "The Lord rebuke you!"
B. SOS: Submit to God to Shore up Defenses , Overcome Dark Lies with the Light of the Truth, Stand in the Strength of Jesus
1. SUBMIT to God to Shore up Defenses against Deception “Since I’m obeying God, I can’t obey Satan, sin, or even my own self-centeredness”
a. Humbly Submit and Purify Js 4:6-8 7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
b. Don’t rebel /grumble Ps 107:9 He satisfies the longing soul, fills the hungry soul with goodness. 10 Those who sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, bound in affliction and irons 11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, & despised the counsel of the Most High
c. Forgiveness 2Cor 2:11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices/schemes/methodia.
d. Resolve Anger/Bitterness Eph 4:26 do not let the sun go down on your wrath 27 nor give place to the devil.
e. Be Self Controlled & Alert1 Pt 5:8-9 Be sober/self-controlled/sound-minded, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast/firm in the faith, knowing…
2. Overcome Dark Lies with the Light of the Truth “Be gone Satan for it is written:…” If deception is a lie, the correction is the Truth
a1. Take every thought captive to obey Christ 2Cor 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
a2. 1Jn 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16 For all that is in the world----the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life----is not of the Father but is of the world.
a3. Love truth 2Thess 2:10 with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
a4. Teach Truth 1Tim 2: 24 a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
a5. Jn 8:31 If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
b. Satan Lies Mk 4:15…where the word is sown. they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the word sown in their hearts
Jn 8:44 "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
3. Stand in the Strength of Jesus as part of His Body“The Spirit of God within me, by virtue of my belief in the shed blood of Jesus, is greater than and overcomes anything in this world, and has made me God’s child, so Satan’s lies can not prevent me from obeying the Truth.”
A lion picks off the stray or straggler. God designed the Body of Believers to provide protection, prevent deception, and effect restoration.
a. Greater 1Jn 4:4 You are of God little children & have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world
b. Faith 1Pt 5:9 Resist him, steadfast/firm in the faith Lk 22:31…Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 "But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."
c. Can do Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me 19 my God shall supply all…need according to His riches in glory by Jesus.
Heb13:21 make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus…
d. Escape/Flee 1Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it
1Tim 6:11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.
2Tim 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
e. Stand in Unity Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. (CONTEXT of Ephesians is the Truth that God has created diverse believers into a unified temple which He indwells. Satan seeks to destroy unity. Satan will seek to defile the temple to thwart the glory of God from residing there. The armor consists of the Truth presented in Eph.) 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood…13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints----
Questions for Discussion/Reflection/Response:
- If we’re set free from sin to be a slave of Christ, why do we sin? How can Satan get a “stronghold” in someone’s life?
- Why would someone depart from the Truth? What lies would a false teacher use? What pious lies sound like the Truth?
- What role does Scripture Memory play in spiritual “warfare”? Prayer? Biblical fellowship? Which can be counterfeited?
- What are some areas where Satan could attack you; what are the lies you’re tempted to believe? What’s the Truth that refutes the lies?
- What lies could Satan use to disrupt the unity of the Body? What protection has God given?