1Peter 4:10 As each one has received a gift (bestowal of grace), minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone serves, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
From Part 1: Characteristic of God; Based/Founded in Fear of God; HS fruit; Delights God ; Basis of: Blessings, Ministry and Influence
Loyally follow through on commands (spirit & letter), beliefs, responsibilities & promises; using all according to God’s purpose/plan
I. A good and faithful steward practices self denial to use all they have for the service of others & the glory of God.
1Tim 4:12 Let no man despise your youth; but be an example to the believers, in word, conduct, love, spirit, faith, purity. 13 give attention to exhortation, doctrine 15 Meditate upon these things; give yourself fully to them; that your profiting may appear to all. 16 Take heed…save
A. Minister/Serve Mt 20:28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.
2Cor 9:1 Now concerning the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you
Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love, which you have shown toward his name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11 desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope til the end
B. Edify (Build up-Temple motiff) 1Thess 5:11 Therefore encourage each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.
Rom 12:6 gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us…prophecy, serving, teaching, exhorting, giving, mercy
1Cor 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit others. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; knowledge 9 faith, healing 10 working of miracles, prophecy; discerning of spirits; tongues; interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these works that one and the same Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
1 Cor 14:3 he that prophesies speaks to men to edification, exhortation, and encouragement. 26 let all things be done for edification.
C. Glorify 1Cor 10:31 whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
2Cor 5:15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again
II. What do you have of each of the following? How can you use it to glorify God and love others as yourself?
Not for our benefit, but for the benefit of others 1Cor 4:7 For who makes you to differ from another? and what have you that you did not receive? now if you did receive it, why do you glory, as if you had not received it?
1Cor 4:1 account us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2…stewards, that a man be found faithful.
1. Grace & HS 2Cor 6:1 not receive the grace of God in vain. Eph 4:30 do not grieve the HS of God. 1Th 5:19 Don’t quench the Spirit.
Acts 20:32 commend you to God and to the word of His grace… build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified
2. Relationships: Marriage & Roomates should reflect the unity of God Mt 19:6 they are no longer two but one
1Cor 1:10 all speak the same thing, no divisions among you, you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
Singleness 1Cor 7:32-34 I want you to be w/o care. One who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord how he/she may please the Lord
3. Uniqueness/Personality/Design Ps 139:14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works…
Abilities/Talents Mt 25:16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents.
Mind/Intellect/Reason Rm 12:2 be transformed by the renewing of your mind 3 think soberly/soundmindedly 5 members of one another
Will/Emotions/Passion Dt 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. David
Body/Voice 1Cor 6:20 you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
4. Possessions Phm 1:7 the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother. 1Pt 4:9 hospitable to one another without grumbling.
Lk 8:3 Joanna the wife of Herod's steward, Susanna, many others, which ministered to him of their substance. 1Tim 6:17-19
5. Power/Influence Titus 1:7 overseeer must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry…
6. Job/Opportunity Col 3:23 whatever (work) you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to me 24 from Lord receive reward Gal 6:10
7. Education/Knowledge “I’ve given you gifts for your sainthood, and you’re only using them for your livelyhood.” W. Armburster
Jer 9:23 Let not the wise/mighty/ rich glory …24 glory in this, That he understands and knows Me loyalty/justice/righteousness in the earth.
8. Background/Experiences Phil 3:4…trust in the flesh, I more…7 things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Jn 4 Thirsty
9. Strengths/Weaknesses Zech 4:6 the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit’
Jn 9:3 (born blind) that the works of God should be revealed in him. 11:4 (illness) that the Son of God may be glorified through it.
10. Suffering Eph 3:13 Therefore I ask that you do not lose heart at my tribulations for you, which is your glory. 2Ti 3:10
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
- How has someone benefited you or glorified God with what would appear to be an insignificant aspect of their life?
- What “hidden” talents do you have that you’re ashamed of or not using? Why? Is God pleased with your hoarding of your talent?
- Do you use your talents more for your livelihood or sainthood? Whom do you chiefly glorify/benefit? What’s God’s purpose for your job?
- If joy comes from choosing what is best, what’s the best use of your talents and everything else God has entrusted to you?
- Make an inventory of you talents. Then list how you can use each one according to God’s purpose, and incorporate into your goals.