Filled with the Spirit & Spilling All Over
18 And be not drunk with wine, in which is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves; in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things to God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; 21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
I. Being Filled with the Spirit is Being Controlled by the Word of the Spirit of Truth
A. Fill = Control Eph 1:23; 3:19; 4:10; Phil 1:11; Col 1:9
B. Spirit = Spirit of Truth Jn 14:17; 15:26; 16:13
Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Ezek 36:27 I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
II. The Results of being filled with the Spirit are Obvious:
A. Spiritual rather than Fleshly Fruit
Ga 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, self-control: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 13 For if ye live according to the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
B. Speaking to build up the Body Eph 4:15-16, 25
Perspective Matching God's
Encouragement & Education
Admonishment & Advice
C. Singing from the Heart and Head
D. Submission to the Hand God has Dealt Us
We need to recognize God's sovereignty, goodness, protection, provision, and purpose.
E. Submission to the Body as well as Its Head
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. Are you a Whopper Shopper, Buyer, Nibbler, Consumer, or Stuffer? What would help you be more gluttonous?
2. Is "speaking" natural? forced? responsibility? privilege? common? extraordinary? enjoyable? painful? practiced? spontaneous?
3. Do you tend to be a head, heart, or hand responder? Does your delight in God supercede your other delights?
4. When was the last time you thanked God for a disappointment, trial, problem, insult, or tough time?
5. What convictions does one need in order to submit to another? Why is independence the essence of sin?
6. If the Spirit of God was controlling your life 100%, what would be different?