Good Works, Good Lord, Good Glory
Download MS Word File
Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Definition: Good works are purposeful Christlike actions, prompted and enabled by the HS of grace, which eternally benefit others (through having real needs met), God (by making Him look good in the eyes of others) and ourselves (through growth and reward).
1. Good Works are a function of the light shining in us (having an unhindered relationship with God) and should result in God looking good in the eyes of others Mt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
2. Jesus deliberately engaged in GW Jn 17:4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.
Jn 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shown you from my Father; for which of those works do you stone me?
Ac 10:38 That God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed by the devil; for God was with him. 20: 24 "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
3. GW (are distinguished from giving alms) don't make you immune from dying, but appear to increase your chances of getting a miraculous resurrection Ac 9:36 disciple named Tabitha, called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.
4. Glory hounds patiently continue to do GW even though they don't see the immediate payoff.
Ro 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing (good works) seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life:
Rm 13:3 rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, you will have praise from them
Ne 13:14 Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God
5. GW are the hottest fashion for a godly woman, should be done without wrath or doubting, but with reverence and sobriety (sound-minded, objective thinking) 1Tim 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;10 But (which is becoming to women professing godliness) with good works.
6. We can/should have a reputation for GW which is gained by diligently following/chasing after every opportunity to render service to those in need. 1Ti 5:9 9…unless she has been the wife of one man,10 well reported for good works: if she has brought up children, if she has lodged strangers, if she has washed the saints’ feet, if she has relieved the afflicted, if she has diligently followed every good work.
7. GW are obvious (as light in a dark place) 1Ti 5:25 the good works of some are clearly evident beforehand… otherwise can’t be hid.
8. The rich should be rich in GW (not just do them conveniently) so they can be rich in the future world as well as this one. GW are distinguished from doing good, and being ready or willing to share. 1Ti 6:17Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. 18 Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, 19 storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
9. You're not adequate to do GW unless you're first taught/reproved/corrected/instructed by the Word of God and the GW's flow out of a sanctified life (light). (Otherwise you'll wind up just doing the soup kitchen bleeding heart liberal kind of thing to make yourself feel good/less guilty RATHER than what God wants/is pleased by [which the Word tells you about]). It would also seem that every GW should have a Biblical basis/motivation, and/or that the Word should be involved in every GW. 2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished/equipped for all good works.
10. Mature believers are to be models of GW, flowing out of sober-objective thinking and an unreproachable life Titus 2:6 Likewise exhort the young men to be sober-minded, 7 in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, 8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.
11. We're to be as zealous for GW as we are for.....GW are a purpose of our redemption, and the result of a purified life (no purity, no good GW [are there bad GW?]). Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify to himself his own special people, zealous of good works.
12. Knuckleheads must be reminded to do/maintain GW, and such GW are profitable for those doing them (as well as those benefited by them) Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that you affirm constantly, that they who have believed in God may be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men. 14 And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they may not be unfruitful.
13. We have the responsibility to put some decent mental effort into inciting each other to acts of love as well as GW, part of the means of such incitement is assembling and shouting at each other Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to stir up to love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves, as the manner of some; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.
14. GW will even win over those who are hostile or antagonistic to Christianity. (The evil-doing in this verse is the irreligious act of refusing to burn incense to the Emperor as deity). 1Pe 2:12 Having your behavior honest among the Gentiles: that, though they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
15. Supernatural grace is necessary to do GW's. There's no lack on God's side, the only lack shortage is in our failure to receive or use as God intended. 2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to/have abundance for every good work:
16. The GW in this context is that of giving to Paul's ministry. The GW was motivated by God. Phlp 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he who hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:
17. It pleases God when we have fruitful GW (our GW's accomplish their intend aim or GW are the means of being faithful) Col 1:10 That you may walk worthy of the Lord to all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God
Mt 26:7 a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he was eating. 10 When Jesus understood it, he said to them, Why trouble you the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
18. God gives us the strength (currency) to the business of GW's 2Th 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, who hath loved us, and has given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, 17 Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work. Phlp 2:13 For it is God who works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
19. Personal holiness (in which we've taken the initiative) is a prerequisite to GW's 2Ti 2:21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
20. Failing to be pure disqualifies you from doing a GW Titus 1:14… men who turn from the truth. 15 To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled. 16 They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.
3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
21. GW are pleasing to God, the will of God, to the Glory of God, and the result of being perfected Heb 13:20 Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
21 make you complete/perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen Ps 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law [is] within my heart.
22. GW are rewarded and usually appear to be toward the saints Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love, which you have shown toward his name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Mt 25:35 For I was hungry, and you gave me food: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in 36 Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me.
Re 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labor, and thy patience, and that you can not bear them who are evil: and you have tried them who say they are apostles, and are not, and have found them liars:
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. What are the alternatives to doing Good Works? Are there bad works? What if no one recognizes God in your good work?
2. What’s a good work that you’ve experienced? How did it benefit you? How do good works relate to disciplemaking?
3. What are the hindrances to good works? What happens if someone doesn’t do good works?
4. How can you increase your ability and motivation to do good works?
5. List some good works that you could do…then: pray, do, and track your good works every day this week.