Download MS Word File
1. My life is my own; Truth=Our Creator and Redeemer owns us twice over
1Cor 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1Co 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
2. God isn’t good to me; T=God must give what’s best when it’s best otherwise He wouldn’t be the God of the Scriptures.
Na 1:7 The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows those who trust in Him.
Ro 11:22 consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. La 3:25 The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.
3. God doesn’t care about my needs and desires; T=God created my desires and has a plan to fulfill them perfectly if I submit
Matt 6:32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Ps 37:4 Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Ps 84:11 The LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD will give grace and glory; No good will He withhold From those who walk uprightly.
4. Self Denial is an option; T=Self Denial is the Christ following way of life as we sacrificially love others
Mk 8:34…Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life/soul will lose it, but whoever loses his life/soul for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul/life? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul/life? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.
1Jn 3:16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us; and we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
5. There are No Consequences; T=We can’t plant radishes and reap strawberries
Gal 6:7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. 9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due
Eph 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, (etc) has any inheritance in the kingdom
6. I need something to do God’s will (be content/joyful/peaceful/holy/pure/serve/make disciples); T=We always have all we need
2Cor 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 19 my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
7. Bible is too difficult/mysterious to understand, can’t know God’s will; T=God has the power to communicate so we can understand
John 8:31 If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
2Tim 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Eph 5:17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is Jn 12:48 words…shall judge him on the last day
8. The Scriptures are not applicable or don’t apply to my situation; T=God’s Word always speaks to those who have ears to hear
2Tim 5:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man/woman of God may be complete/perfect, thoroughly equipped for every good work
9. God will be satisfied or use me if I don’t do the dirty dozen; T=We are to be holy as God is holy. (1Pt 1:15-16)
Mt 12:34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
2Co 7:1 Having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
10. What I think about doesn’t matter; T=If we don’t take every thought captive, they will capture us
1Pt 1:13 gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
2Co 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
11. We’ll always be defeated worms/sinners (just a sinner saved by grace); T=Victory is a result of saints being in union with Jesus
Rm 6:22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.
2Cor 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place
2Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
Questions for Relfection/Discussion/Response:
1. Why are lies appealing, or so easily believed? How can we uncover the lies we believe, especially when we’re deceived about them?
2. What are the consequences of living with lies? How can we replace the lies of Satan’s world with the Truth of God’s Holy Spirit?
3. Disciple Challenge: Identify a lie from each of the “Lies We Believe that keep us bound to sin” then find and memorize a verse correcting it.
4. Disciplemaking Challenge: Learn a verse that counteracts each of the “Lies” and ask God to help you minister Truth & Grace to someone.