The Gospel According to Gump: Darkness is Dumb...Light is Bright
Ephesians 5:8...For you were once darkness, but now are light in the Lord: walk as children of light
I. Darkness is: Dumb
Dumb Jn 1:4 In him was life; the life was the light of men 5 the light shines in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
Being in the Power of Satan Ac 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them who are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Following Demons Eph 6:12 For we wrestle...against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness on high
Blind Hate 1Jn 2:8 a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shines. 9 He that says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness even until now. 11 But he that hates his brother is in darkness, and walks in darkness, and knows not where he goes, because that darkness has blinded his eyes.
Worldly Lu 16:8...the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
Irreversible Fruitless Ro 1:21 they knew God, glorified not...became vain in their imaginations, their foolish heart was darkened
Loss Eph 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God thru their ignorance...blindness of heart
II. Light is Bright
A. Characteristics of light: enables sight of reality (for ourselves and others); necessary for life; provides warmth; always overcomes darkness; can never be overcome by darkness; straight and constant; moving; wave and particle; brightens up wherever it is; can't be mixed with dark; can be luminescent, but it's mostly reflective or burning.
B. The Walk of Light is:
1. Commenced by Belief Jn 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light.
2. Confirmed by Fellowship 1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another
3. Continued by: a. Love 1Jn 2:10 He that loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
b. Faith Jn 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whoever believes on me should not abide in darkness.
c. Hope 1Thes 5:4 you brethren, are not in darkness...5...children of light...6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others; but let us watch and be sober minded...8 let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 For God has not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ
d. Discipleship Jn 8:12...I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Mt 4:16 The people who sat in darkness saw great light; and to them who sat in the region and shadow of death light has shone. 17...Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 19...Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
e. Helping others see Jn 9:5 as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6...he anointed the eyes of the blind man with clay...
f. Praise 1Pt 2:9...royal priesthood...should declare the praises of Him who has called ye out of darkness into his marvellous light
g. Thankfulness Col 1:12 Giving thanks to the Father, who has made us qualified to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13 Who has delivered us from the power of darkness, and has translated us into the kingdom of his beloved Son:
h. Holiness 2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship...communion has light with darkness? 17 come out...be ye separate...touch not the unclean; and I will receive you, 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
i. Christlikeness Ro 13:9-14...love thy neighbour as thyself 10...love is the fulfilling of the law 11...high time to awake out of sleep...our salvation nearer than when we believed 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light 13 Let us walk properly as in the day; not in revellings and drunkenness, not in immorality and wantonness, not in strife and envying 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the lusts of flesh.
4. Concludes with Glory Re 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God enlightened it, and the Lamb is its lamp. 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no lamp, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. What helped you decide to step out of the darkness and into the light?
2. How is it possible for a person to be in the "light", yet still stumbling around?
3. What are some signs that someone is "still in the dark"?
4. What Christlike acts can help others see the error of darkness and the right way of light?
5. What can you do to increase your wattage?