The S-Word: Submission
Download MS Word File
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God
I. Submission is willingly yielding our rights and preferences for the goal of God-glorifying unity
II. Lack of Submission opens us up to Demonic Attack (Independence is the essence of sin)
Js 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
III. We Submit to: 1) God, 2) Government, 3) Parents, 4) Spiritual Leaders, 5) Employers, 6) One Another, 7) Husbands
1) Lk 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it to me according to thy word.
2) Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject to higher powers, there's no power but from God: the powers that are, are ordained by God
3) Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother...
4) Heb 13:7 Remember them who have the rule over you, who have spoken to you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their manner of life. 17 Obey/be persuaded them that have the rule over you, and submit/yield yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you
5) Titus 2:9 Exhort servants to be obedient to their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; 10 Not pilfering, but showing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things. (cf Col 3:22-23 fearing God)
6) 1Pt 5:5 Likewise, you younger people, submit yourselves to the elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility: for God resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble. 6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, , walks about, like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour:
7) Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 24 Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so let wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Col 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
IV. Submission is: 1) Christlike, 2) designed by God for our benefit, 3) in the grey areas
Lu 2:51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them...1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued to him, then shall the Son also himself be subject to Him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
V. Submission requires trust that God is: Good, Sovereign, Almighty, Wise, Just Judge, and a Rewarder (fear Heb 11:6)
Eph 1:22 And put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
VI. Submission requires: 1) yieldedness to God and embracing of His will, 2) intelligence 3) humility:
a) transparency=willingness to be seen as I am with nothing to hide; b) good self-image=lack of the need to validate or prove my worth via the temporal; c) flexibility=writing our own agenda in pencil; d) preferring and honoring others=having affirmation from God so I can pass some along to others.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. What does one do if there is a disparity in the orders given by the chain of command?