The Will of God
Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
WORD (Commands, Principles, Examples)
INPUT from others (Peers, Leaders, Experts)
LOGIC: Life Plan to glorify God and serve others
Obedience to the Great Commission
Grow in Grace (rewards)
Increase Usefulness to the Master
LEADING of HS (not feelings/peace/circumstances, but conviction)
CLASSIFY: I. Important & Urgent; II. Important & Non-Urgent; III. Non-important & Urgent; IV. Non-important & Non-Urgent
Important tasks are those that contribute to your most important written goals and objectives (directly or as prerequisites).
Urgent tasks are those that must be done within a specified time (deadline) or have some other time specification.
PRIORITIZE: A - (I) ACT & ACHIEVE this week (today); B - (II & III) BEGIN ACTION this week; C - (III & IV) CAN be left undone
Questions to ask when comparing tasks: Stitch in Time? Balance? Consequences (+/-) of doing or leaving undone? Greatest Benefit/Damage? Delegate/Transfer to someone else?
God's Will for us is:
1) Best Ro 12:2 not conformed to world: be transformed by renewing of your mind...good, acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Enduring 1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 17 And the world passes away, and its lust: but he that does the will of God abides for ever.
Holiness Ga 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, to deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God our Father
Intimacy Mr 3:35 For whoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
2) Rewarded Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye may receive the promise.
Mt 7:21 Not every one...Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but who does the will of my Father who is in heaven
Raised Jn 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father's will...I should lose nothing, but should raise them up again at the last day. 40 this is the will of him that sent me, that every one who sees the Son, and believes on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Answers Jn 9:31 Now we know that God hears not sinners: but if any man is a worshipper of God, and does his will, him he hears
3) Achievable Col 4:12 Epaphras...labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect & complete in all will of God
Knowable Jn 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know concerning the teaching whether...from God, or I speak from myself.
Revealed 1Th 4:1 how to walk to please God...2 commandments we gave 3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification, that ye should abstain from immorality: 4 That each one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Wisdom Col 1:9 pray and desire that ye may be filled with the knowledge of his will by all wisdom and spiritual understanding
4) Energizing Jn 4:34 Jesus said to them, My food is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
Heb 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight...
Delight Ps 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.
5) Submission 1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves...15 is the will of God, that by doing good ye may silence the ignorance of foolish men
Mt 26:42 second time, prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
Jn 5:30 I can of my own self do nothing...I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father who has sent me.
6) Suffering 1Pe 3:17 For it is better, if the will of God is so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
1Pe 4:1...arm yourselves with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin; 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as to a faithful Creator. (see 2Tim 3:12)
7) Rejectable Lu 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, being not baptized by him.
Consequential Lu 12:47 servant, who knew his lord's will, prepared not, nor did according to his will, shall be beaten with many.
Wrath Eph 2:3 we lived in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the will of the flesh and of the mind...wrath
Alternative 2Ti 2:26 they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him to do his will.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. Why do you think God has a will for His people?
2. Do you view the will of God as a broad general playing field or a specific dot?
3. What are some of the things which keep us from seeking, doing and experiencing God's perfect will?
4. What's are some of the consequences of doing something other than God's will with your time, money and strength?
5. How many activities/actions of your upcoming week can you confidently name as God's will for your life?