Bible Study Methods - Fun with Dick & Jane
Because Jane's father wasn't approving of him, Dick scaled the wall heroically, on a ladder, at night to elope with Jane but fell off and said "ouch"
- Read the passage in at least two versions, noting significant differences.
- Write down any questions that come to mind as you read (include those your audience may have).
--verbs: one underline
--verbal propositions: double underline
--subject of each clause: mark with an "S"
--prepositions: mark with a checkmark
- Diagram the passage, putting each phrase or clause on its own line.
--Because Jane's father wasn't approving of him
--Dick scaled the wall
--heroically, on a ladder, at night
--to elope with Jane
--but fell off
--and said "ouch"
List Questions & Observations
- Historical/Cultural/Geographical Context/Background
- Grammatical Considerations
- Lexical Studies/Insights
- Structure and Style
- Theology of Book, Author, Bible
- Who, What, Where, When, Why (Purpose, Reason, Result), & How (Means & Manner)
Solve the Mystery
- Begin the process of INTERPRETATION by using a concordance, a Bible dictionary, an English dictionary and a Greek Lexicon (refrain from using a commentary until you've completed your own study).
- Determine and identify (on your diagram):
--Main Verbs and Independent Clauses: determines Major Verbal Propositions (MVP) or Verbal
Independent Propositions (VIP)
--Coordinate or Subordinate Clauses: usually with a conjunction and verbal form (participle, infinitive),
answering the questions Why or How about the MVP
--Other Modifiers, Phrases (prepositional) and Key Nouns: usually answering Who, What, When, or Where about the MVP
Who? The one who should do x is y.
What? The thing that did x was y.
Where? The place where x happens is y.
When? The time when x happened was y.
Why - purpose? The purpose of doing x is so that y will happen.
Why - result? The result of doing x is that y happen.
Why - reason? The reason why x happened was because of y.
How - means? The means by which you should do x is by y.
How - manner? The manner in which you should do x is y.