Deadly Desires I: A Subway Named Desire
17 This I say and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over to lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
I. Don't Walk Like the Gentiles Do - How Do the Gentiles Live?
17c Empty headed empty lives (fruitless, faulty; vain thoughts = empty headed)
18a Why?...they're in the dark (their understanding/ability to discern is darkened)
18b How so?...unconnected-unplugged (alienated from the life of God)
18c Why missing life?...knuckleheads (ignorance that is in them; they can't see it)
18d Why knuckleheads?...hardhearted (insensitive to God - callous/beyond pangs of conscience)
19 Consequence of callous conscience?...up to their eyebrows, but they can't get enough to satisfy
19b They've sold their soul to sensuality (given selves over to desire/lust/lasciviousness)
19a The reason they've sold out?...they've routinely become insensitive to the warning signs
19c The purpose of selling their soul?...to play in the manure pile (work all uncleanness)
19d How do they play?...they can't get enough, it doesn't satisfy (greediness = have more)
A. God created us with desires for Power (security & significance), Pleasure, and Possessions (which He will fulfill)
Ge 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired 08378 to make one wise, she took of its fruit, and ate, and gave also to her husband with her; and he ate.
Ps 21:2 Thou hast given him his heart's desire 03820, and hast not withheld the request of his lips.
De 12:15 you may kill and eat flesh in all thy gates, whatever thy soul desireth 0185, according to the blessing of God...
De 14:26 bestow that money for whatever thy soul desires, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatever thy soul desires: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thy household,
B. Satan's Desire for our lives is to fulfill our Desires apart from God Provision and Timing (now vs then)
Ge 3:5 For God knows that in the day ye eat of it, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.
C. God Desire is for us to Master our Desires; Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thy heart. Ps 37:4
Ge 3:16 To the woman he said...thy desire 08669 shall be to thy husband, but he shall rule over thee.
Ge 4:7 If you do well...be accepted? and if not, sin lies at the door. And to thee is his desire 08669, but thou shalt rule over him.
Job 22:22 Receive...the law...in thy heart...23 return...put away iniquity...26 For then shalt thou have thy delight in the Almighty...
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. Is there a danger that a born-again believer could live like the Gentiles do? In what areas is he/she most vulnerable? Why?
2. T or F "...it is lust, since the thought of satisfaction gives pleasure, of non-satisfaction, pain" III:171
3. T or F "The inablity, in obedience to God, to renounce what may be in themselves natural and legitimate desires is called sin" "Desire is the chief of all sins. The will of God can be expressed in a single formula: not to desire." (cx Dt 5:5 love-whole heart) TDNT III:169
4. Under what conditions can it be more pleasurable to refrain from rather than indulge a desire? Elaborate (or don't if you prefer)
5. Can you give an example of how your desires have changed? What prompted and what was the process of change?