Enoch Walking with God
|2000-01-01||Hebrews 11: 5|
5 By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, "and was not found, because God had taken him"; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
I. Micah 6:8a He has shown you, O man, what is good...
Our infinitely good God has shown us what it good:
Regeneration, New Birth (nature), Life and Abundant life, forgiveness, redemption, clean slate, purpose, meaning, hope, ability to relate to God
Indwelling HS, heals the past, provides power over sin, cleanses, guides in Truth, wisdom for living, Abiding strength and comfort
Baptism in a Body with Brothers, Sisters, Fathers, Mothers, Shepherds, belonging and playing a vital part in something that matters
Sealing headed for glory, reward, fulfilling destiny, protected and secure from evil, owned by an infinitely good, loving, powerful God.
II. ...what does the LORD require of you but:to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8b
A. Do justly - Proverbs was written to teach us what is right and just and fair
B. Love mercy (hesed: lovingkindness, loyal love, fidelity)
C. Walk humbly with your God - His way/will is our way/will, obedience and intimacy (Jn 14:21), (Pr 11:12) “Footprints”
1. Basis of Blessing Gen 17:1 the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless.
2. Look and Do Lev 18:4 `You shall observe My judgments and keep My ordinances, to walk in them: I am the LORD your God.
Jeremiah 42:3 "that the LORD your God may show us the way in which we should walk and the thing we should do."
3. Covenantal relationship Lev 26:12 I will walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people.
1Kg 8:61 Let your heart therefore be loyal to the LORD our God, to walk in His statutes and keep His commandments, as at this day.
4. For our benefit Deut 5:33 "You shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which you shall possess.
1Kg 2:3 keep the charge of the LORD your God: to walk in His ways...that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn;
Ps 84:11 LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly.
5. Rooted in Fear (cf Pr 1:7; 9:10) Dt 10:12 "And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
Jude 1:14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." 16 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage.
Ecc 11:9 Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, And let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth; Walk in the ways of your heart, And in the sight of your eyes; But know that for all these God will bring you into judgment. Cf Dt 13:4 Josh 22:5 Neh 5:9
6. Whole hearted like Caleb 1Kings 8:23 and he said: "LORD God of Israel, there is no God in heaven above or on earth below like You, who keep Your covenant and mercy with Your servants who walk before You with all their hearts. Cf 2Chron 6:14
Ps 56:13 You have delivered my soul from death. Have You not kept my feet from falling, That I may walk before God In the light of the living?
Micah 4:5 For all people walk each in the name of his god, But we will walk in the name of the LORD our God Forever and ever.
7a. Good deeds Eph 2:10 we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared that we should walk in them.
7b. Walk worthy Eph 4:1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called
1Thess 2:12 that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.
Walk to please (see outline on Pleasing God) Col 1:10 you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.
1Thess 4:1 Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God;
7c. Don’t walk like you used to Eph 4:17...you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind,
7d. Walk in love Eph 5:2 walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God...
7e. Walk in light (acc to truth) Eph 5:8 you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (1Jn 1)
7f. Walk wisely (according to right objectives) Eph 5:15 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:
1. What are the alternatives to walking with God and why would someone ever embrace them? What’s the corrective?
2. What should be our thinking when we have difficulty trusting God regarding His way being our highest happiness?
3. While walking hand in hand with God why is it that some folks are more concerned about the scenery or destination than their Companion?
4. Is it possible to walk with God in some other way that Micah 6:8? What does walking with God (for 300 years) look like today?
5. Think about the paths your feet have taken on your own, and then with God: why do we wander? How can we keep close on the path with God?