Greatest Commandments: Pt 2E-3 Loving Others - Loving Edification
Download MS Word File
Mk 12:29 Jesus answered "The most important of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. 30 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart decisions, with all your soul m/w/e, with all your mind discern-Eph, and with all your strength.'
Loyalty: Obedience; Valuing; Exclusive 1st to God. Then 2nd Loyalty; Other-centered; Valuing; Edification; Sharing/Serving to others.
1. Love is a decision (based on knowledge) and a commitment to self-sacrificially do what is in another's best interest regardless of response Jn 3
9. Edification Rm 14:19 15:2 each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification 3 as Christ did not please Himself Heb 10:24-25
A. Self-Edification in Faith and Spirit-sensitivity prerequisite Jude 1:19 These are natural 1Cor 2:14, who separate themselves kjv Rm 16:17, not keeping fast the Spirit 20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 23 convict the disputing, but others by fear save, pulling them out of the fire, hating garment defiled by the flesh 24..able keep you from stumbling...present faultless before the presence of His glory w/exceeding joy
See:TOYL Christian Career Path/Training Objectives; 7PASSAGES; Disciplines/Marks of a Disciple; Survey of Discipleship; Disciplemaking
B. Proclaim-Teach?Edify=build up others by sharing Truth experiences that God has used to help you know and obey God better
Acts 20:32 commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up, to give you an inheritance among those are sanctified
C. Body Life Rm 14:19 pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 15:2 Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification. 1Cor 8:1 Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies 10:23 not all things edify 14:3 he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4...edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church 26 Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, teaching, tongue, revelation, interpretation. Let all things be done for edification
D. Our Love expresses itself in serving real significant needs of the saints Teach/Admonish/Reprove/Restore/Rebuke/Reject Rev 3:19!!!
1. Teach-Admonish (warn; to put in mind) Rm 15:14 brethren...are full of goodness, filled w/ all knowledge, able also to admonish one another
2. Reproof (bring to light w/ evidence) Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke/reprove and discipline: be zealous therefore, and repent.
3. Restoration (if Repentance-change of mind/actions) Gal 6:1 Brethren, if one is overtaken in any fault, you who are spiritual restore Mk 4:21 such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
4. Rebuke (give what's due Mal 2:3 dung) 1Tim 5:20 Those who sin rebuke/criticize sharply before all, that others also may fear.
Lk 17:3 "Take heed to yourselves. If you brother trespass against you, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. Cf 2Tim 4:2
Jude 1:9...contending with the devil and disputing...dared not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke thee!"
5. Reject Titus 3:10 Reject a divisive person (chose own way/heretic) after the first and second admonition 11 warped/sinning/doomed
1Cor 5:7 Purge out the old leaven 9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to associate with immoral 10 covetous, cheaters, isolators 11 But now I write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, who is immoral, or covetous, or who looks to anything other than the Creator God for their needs, or abusive person, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a person. Cf Holy Temple
2Thess 3:6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 13 But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. 14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother
1Cor 15 33 Do not be deceived: "Evil company corrupts good habits."
E. Those who don't obey what they know (Ps 50:16 =wicked) are deceived (demonically), will believe lies, and are doomed to destruction
2Thess 2:10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive/embrace the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Gal 6:7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
F. Our labor of love determines our eternal reward or loss
1Cor 3:8 each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building. 10 Acc to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation (JC Eph 2:20), and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles...destroy 18 deceive 19 worldly wisdom
10. Serving and Sharing Gal 5:13 called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but thru love serve one another.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response: