Running the Race - Part 3 - Value Changes
Download MS Word File
Hebrews 12: 1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Part 1: What (RACE) and Why – for rewards
Respond to God’s Revelation (Worship, Learn the truth)
Accept and complete the task assigned to you (Mission and Ministry, Love others with the truth)
Conform to Christ, not to the world (Sanctification, Live the truth)
Edify, exhort, encourage one-another, exhibiting Gods love (Fellowship, Love others with the truth)
Part 2: How – manner: with a proper self-esteem
Part 3: How – means: by changing your values
What are value changes?
2 Cor 5:17 If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
Mat 6: 21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
2 Cor 4:18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Heb 11:27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured as seeing Him who is invisible.
How to change your values?
We will only change our values if we have an accurate picture of the real consequences of our actions and our behaviors.
Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Value change enablers
Conclusion: steps to running the race.
1. Convince yourself that running the race is rewarding and God’s will for you.
2. Make a training schedule (TOYL)
3. Stick to your training schedule (Accountability)
4. Enjoy the run!
Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response
1. Why is it necessary to believe that God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him? Do most Christians believe this?
2. What is keeping people back from changing their values? How can this resistance be overcome?
3. Do we all have to make the same value changes? Are some ‘born’ with ‘better’ values than others?
4. How can you help others to change their values and run the race more effectively?
5. In what areas of your life is God prompting you to make some value changes? What steps can you take this week?