How to Glorify God -- Biblical Life Purpose & Plan
Why do you go to work? Why should you go on living?
- Isa 43:7 everyone called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made 21 people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.
- Rom 8:29…predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son…
- Jn 4:34 My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.
- Jn 17:4 I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.
- Ac 20:24 I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.
- 1Cor 10:31 So…whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
- 2Cor 5:9 So we make it our goal to please him…10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.
- Eph 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Glory à liver…important…paying the cost to turn on the lights to make God look good.
God is inherently glorious. He is glorified whenever He is seen or shows up.
We can bring Him glory by:
- Living our lives in such risky dependence upon God that He regularly intervenes in answering our prayers;
- Proclaiming to others how God has revealed Himself both in answering our prayers and in His Word;
- Demonstrating the character of God in our own lives so He is revealed through us to others (now and then);
- Acknowledging the supreme worth of God through our unreserved heart-mind-soul-strength obedience;
- Developing Christlike character in others (disciple-making) so the above means can be multiplied.
TWO Greatest Commands = Love God…Love Neighbor Mt 22:37-39
Questions for Discussion/Reflection/Response?
- Why is it crucial to clearly state and examine our purpose and objectives?
- If someone says: "I don't have any objectives or life plan," what are they really saying?
- What's "wrong" with each of the "bad" objectives (see Bad/Better/Best Sheet)?
- What components should go into each of the "best" objectives?
- How are you planning to obey the two greatest commands? Is it a written plan?
- What activities do you have the hardest time fitting into your Life purpose and plan?